Author Topic: Can you dilute/lower strength of E-Liquid?  (Read 5314 times)

Offline WHISPER

Can you dilute/lower strength of E-Liquid?
« on: December 15, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
I ordered some high strength (24mg) tobacco E-Liquid but received extra high (36mg) instead. Apart from the obvious of it being stronger i seemed to be getting headaches. (May be total coincidence).
So i was wondering is there anyway to dilute the liquid to lower the strength without losing the taste?

Offline Capt12B

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • 30% of all fire deaths are attributed to analogs
Re: Can you dilute/lower strength of E-Liquid?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 03:02:27 PM »
you can definitely cut the 36 mg juice down. If you mix 2/3 36mg juice + 1/3 pg or vg you will have 24 mg juice.... but there will be a drop in flavor. To maintain the flavor, you need to get a flavor concentrate to match the original flavor and spike the juice back up. Typically the flavor concentrate is mixed at 15 - 20%.  If you have 36 mg flavor (x) and mix 2 ml of 36 + 1 ml of pg/vg + 4 drops of flavor (x) concentrate you will have 3 ml of 24mg juice with the original flavor level ( or there abouts)  ;)

Offline WHISPER

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 03:30:02 PM »
you can definitely cut the 36 mg juice down. If you mix 2/3 36mg juice + 1/3 pg or vg you will have 24 mg juice.... but there will be a drop in flavor. To maintain the flavor, you need to get a flavor concentrate to match the original flavor and spike the juice back up. Typically the flavor concentrate is mixed at 15 - 20%.  If you have 36 mg flavor (x) and mix 2 ml of 36 + 1 ml of pg/vg + 4 drops of flavor (x) concentrate you will have 3 ml of 24mg juice with the original flavor level ( or there abouts)  ;)

Thanks for that Capt  :)
Does that mean if i already have a bottle of the same liquid at 24mg strength (which i do have)  i could use the method you give above to lower the 36mg one?

Offline Capt12B

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 03:41:19 PM »
No, not really. Mixing the 24 mg with the 36 mg will have you at 30 mg strength if you mix 50/50.  You need some PG or VG and mix it 1/3 with the 36 mg to bring the 36mg juice down to 24 mg. 1st I would take 2ml of the 36mg juice and mix with 1 ml of the pg/vg and see if the taste is still there for ya. If you desire more flavor you will need a concentrate to mix back in and as I said 4 drops of flavor in 1 ml will give you the original flavor level you are used too  ;)   I am trying to to be too confusing but mixing is really a very simple thing.  In fact if you can find a concentrate you like you can then mix your own juice down the road and save a lot of $$$  :D

E-Cig-Reviews.com - Forum

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 03:41:19 PM »

Offline WHISPER

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 03:53:57 PM »
No, not really. Mixing the 24 mg with the 36 mg will have you at 30 mg strength if you mix 50/50.  You need some PG or VG and mix it 1/3 with the 36 mg to bring the 36mg juice down to 24 mg. 1st I would take 2ml of the 36mg juice and mix with 1 ml of the pg/vg and see if the taste is still there for ya. If you desire more flavor you will need a concentrate to mix back in and as I said 4 drops of flavor in 1 ml will give you the original flavor level you are used too  ;)   I am trying to to be too confusing but mixing is really a very simple thing.  In fact if you can find a concentrate you like you can then mix your own juice down the road and save a lot of $$$  :D

Ah i see, thanks for that and of course your patience with what may seem a daft question from someone still new to all this.  ;)
After christmas when i have more money i'll probably start trying to mix my own to save money in the long run.

Offline Capt12B

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 04:00:28 PM »
Not a daft question at all and it was the very same question I had at one time. Scott has a great mixing calculator on the home page that can help you while you get comfortable with mixing. After a while you will  start thinking in easy number for ratios you like and wont need a calculator any more  ;)

Offline WHISPER

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 04:18:23 PM »
Not a daft question at all and it was the very same question I had at one time. Scott has a great mixing calculator on the home page that can help you while you get comfortable with mixing. After a while you will  start thinking in easy number for ratios you like and wont need a calculator any more  ;)

You're too kind sir  ;)  ;D
Yes i will no doubt be using Scotts mixing calculator to begin with after christmas.

Offline Khan

• Life is to short to take the LONG way....
    • http://drrcomputers.com
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 08:21:14 PM »
You could also get some 0-nic juice of the same flavor and dial-down your 36mg stuff until it's tolerable, there's no loss of flavor there. make your new stuff 25% 0-nic and you should have something close to your 24mg juice.

E-Cig-Reviews.com - Forum

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 08:21:14 PM »

Offline WHISPER

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 08:34:17 PM »
You could also get some 0-nic juice of the same flavor and dial-down your 36mg stuff until it's tolerable, there's no loss of flavor there. make your new stuff 25% 0-nic and you should have something close to your 24mg juice.

Thank you Khan...your advice is much appreciated.  ;)