Author Topic: If a Doctor asked you if you smoke?  (Read 3885 times)

Offline igetcha

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
    • E-Cig-Reviews.com
If a Doctor asked you if you smoke?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 07:08:50 PM »
Well I don't feel "they need to know"  :P

nor do they ... makes it much easier when they refuse to pay out ... or prosecute, where the case may be ... ;)

How can they prosecute when the form simply asks if you smoke? If it said "do you vape" or "do you use any products that contain nicotine" and the person replied "no" then they would have a case for non payment / prosecution.......but if they are only asking whether you "smoke" then the truthful answer would be no.

I've never heard of a case of non payment due to a person answering the questions truthfully :)

Offline itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • Argumentative ?? Debatable !!
Re: If a Doctor asked you if you smoke?
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 07:09:20 PM »
okay Scott ... lol

Offline Jimblob

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 07:12:15 PM »
When people ask me if I smoke, I just say something along the lines of, "sort of ", lol.

Thing with vaping and smoking though, I guess everyone whilst smoking thinks that they will need to give up eventually. I'am not really sure what to do when it comes to vaping, whether to eventually quit that or not, since no one really knows what harm we are doing to ourselves, just that its better than smoking cigs.

Offline igetcha

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
    • E-Cig-Reviews.com
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 07:12:34 PM »
That's okay Ged, helps to think with logic at times ;)

E-Cig-Reviews.com - Forum

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 07:12:34 PM »

Offline itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • Argumentative ?? Debatable !!
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 07:13:47 PM »
That's okay Ged, helps to think with logic at times ;)

i always put logic first ... your forum hence "okay Scott" ... lol

Offline mugwump

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 07:15:20 PM »
Me -  Well yes and no I smoke but don't put baccy in my mouth and light it, I use battery and liquid instead ,

sounds like you're even more confused than they are ... lol

LOL I live in utter confusion its even better fun when I`ve got them all discombobulated   :P

Offline Tinytears

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 08:40:08 PM »
I finally got my life insurance re-newed with a new company after my other one ran out. All of them treat you as a smoker if you use any type of nicotine replacement nowadays but I found one out of hundreds that don't.  You have to be free of any type of nicotine for 12 months before they consider you nicotine free.  It took me months to find it and they are apparently going to change the way they do things soon as well. I'm happy because that's me covered till I'm 70.

Diane

Offline TheDodge

• Vapeing full time since 30th Sept 2012
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 12:30:53 PM »
Most insurance forms will ask have you smoked in the last 12 or 24 months, so you say yes
but you don’t smoke now
tell your doctor everything that might be relevant, you do still take nicotine, so your doctor needs to know that,  your insurance company never gets access to your medical records, they just ask your doctor relevant questions
ie, has he had a heart attack, has he been diagnosed with cancer, is he defiantly dead.
when i had my heat attact and claimed on critical illness insurance i had to give consent for the hospital to answer the insurance company questions, not sure what happens with life insurance, but your death certificate does include cause of death, and smoking can get you 20 years after you stop.
Father in-laws funeral Wednesday, lung cancer, not smoked for 20 years
Mum died 5 years after stoping smoking

the sooner you stop the better your odds, your first, last fag may have got you, or your next, you just dont know, so dont do it.

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 12:30:53 PM »

Offline Jimblob

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 12:42:34 PM »
Yeah but how honest is anyone and why am I always playing by the rules. Thats what I ask myself on occasion anyway, lol.

Didnt some dood say Sprouts contain nicotine? When your doc asks you if you smoke, are you supposed to say, well not really but I am partial to the odd sprout?

Where does it end  :-[

Offline TheDodge

• Vapeing full time since 30th Sept 2012
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 12:45:23 PM »
Yeah but how honest is anyone and why am I always playing by the rules. Thats what I ask myself on occasion anyway, lol.

Didnt some dood say Sprouts contain nicotine? When your doc asks you if you smoke, are you supposed to say, well not really but I am partial to the odd sprout?

Its better to tell your doctor something he does not need to know, than not tell him somthing he does need to know, so if you think sprouts may be relivant then tell him, but i would expect him to shine a light in your ear just to see if he can see right through.

Offline Jimblob

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 12:57:39 PM »

Its better to tell your doctor something he does not need to know, than not tell him somthing he does need to know, so if you think sprouts may be relivant then tell him, but i would expect him to shine a light in your ear just to see if he can see right through.

She should line us lot up together then. Interesting results no doubt :P

Offline valleys vaper

• bulli A2 TM - ego twist and passthrough batteries
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 02:39:49 PM »
i have 2 vaping friends with health issues, 1 is rather large (38 stone), he was told to stop smoking because he was starving his blood of oxygen, (there was a more medical term for this but i dont remember the details, something to do with haemoglobin??), he was smoking 40+ roll ups per day, 2 oz pack of baccy would last him 2 1/2 days, so after the doctors harsh reality call of " give up smoking or expect death in the next 12 months" hes switched to vaping, had a blood test a couple of weeks ago and the blood work is right again, doctors are aware of the vaping and did not pass any judgement on it, only to say as long as you arent smoking.

the other friend has a heart condition,. awaiting bypass op, very similar story really with doctors/nurses reactions.

with vaping being relatively new, long term effects largely unknown, its good to hear things like blood work returning to a "normal" level after switching to vaping

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 02:39:49 PM »

Offline Capt12B

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • 30% of all fire deaths are attributed to analogs
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 03:29:05 PM »
In a typical "healthy person" the nicotine we intake through vaping does not cause any real known harm .... But for people who have already existing cardiac issues or who are pregnant for example the nicotine is an issue and I would communicate that to the Dr. For those people there is always the 0mg (or at least ultra low level) option ;)

Offline Jimblob

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: If a Doctor asked you if you smoke?
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2012, 05:27:07 PM »
i have 2 vaping friends with health issues, 1 is rather large (38 stone), he was told to stop smoking because he was starving his blood of oxygen, (there was a more medical term for this but i dont remember the details??)

Burgerholic?

Offline valleys vaper

• bulli A2 TM - ego twist and passthrough batteries
Re: Re: If a Doctor asked you if you smoke?
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2012, 05:43:34 PM »
i have 2 vaping friends with health issues, 1 is rather large (38 stone), he was told to stop smoking because he was starving his blood of oxygen, (there was a more medical term for this but i dont remember the details??)

Burgerholic?

lets just say he ate ALL the pies