Author Topic: Menthol Crystals  (Read 7334 times)

Offline laid_in

Menthol Crystals
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:47:11 PM »
Hello. Of all the experiments I have tried menthol crystals are by far my biggest failure so I'm wondering if anyone out there has sussed out how you mix with these?

So far I have tried putting some into an existing mix to 'ice' the flavour, dripping my VG, voddie, nic onto a bed of crystals in a dry dropper. Different amounts. I've left bottles overnight to dissolve and come back to a crystal bottle. I've also microwaved the mix but all that did was deform my bottle so that it no longer stands up by itself.

Each time the menthol flavour was way too weak for me.

The only headway I've made is to keep dunking the dropper bottle into a mug of hot water until it is liquid enough to drip - not always practical and always leaves a frost in the cart foam when not used for a few hours.

Any help would be appreciated. Brian.

Offline Jackie

• UK Vapers
Re: Menthol Crystals
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 02:43:53 AM »
What I do is take an empty 5ml bottle, half fill it with crystals then villd the other half with PG (not VG, it doesn't dissolve the crystals as easily).  Then give it a good few swishes and wait a few minutes for the crystals to dissolve.  Viola, you now have your menthol flavouring.  :)

I find that's plenty strong enough, if it's not for you maybe try three quarters full of crystals instead of half?  I think half and half makes a flavouring that could blow your head off though, so try that first.  :D

Offline laid_in

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 10:29:02 PM »
PG eh? I shall give that a try. In your experience do menthol crystals lose their potency if not used for a few weeks? Its probably because I have been trying it in the VG that's dumbing down the taste.

Does the final solution stay liquid or does it crystalise again when left overnight?

I'll try with a small dose of menthol to begin with, thanks. Brian.

[Where d'you get your PG from or do you use the PG with nic?]

Offline Jackie

• UK Vapers
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:26:03 PM »
I buy plain (no-nic) PG online, chemists don't seem to want to sell it to you here in the UK.

The final solution stays as a liquid once it's been mixed and I can't say that I've noticed the crystals losing potency.

The half crystals / half PG really works quite well, all you need to do then is treat it as a flavouring and work out how many drops of the stuff you need in your mix to suit your taste.  I'd recommend starting with 10-15% and if that's not enough add more gradually.  :)

E-Cig-Reviews.com - Forum

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:26:03 PM »

Offline laid_in

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 08:13:27 PM »
Excellent stuff. Thanks mate.

Will post on how I get on once I've got some PG 0 nic from online.

Brian.

Offline laid_in

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 08:41:53 PM »
Well the PG arrived today and I had to give it a go.

It all worked perfectly for me so thanks again.

I used a half and half mix of menthol with the 0 nic PG as suggested to make up the flavouring, then used 20% in my eliquid.

When making the flavouring the crystals dissolved within about 20 minutes with the occasional shake. I'm glad no more microwaving was needed.

It is spot on for me [and didn't blow my head off]. Brian.

Offline LF Abe

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 09:05:31 PM »
Hey Bri, there is a menthol flavourart (should have it soon) not sure how good that is. I've melted bottles in the microwave too, ha!

Offline laid_in

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 11:29:37 AM »
I've melted bottles in the microwave too, ha!

I'm glad its not just me Abe. Lol. Maybe we should start a new "confessional" thread for daft things tried. Brian.

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 11:29:37 AM »

Offline Jackie

• UK Vapers
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 12:36:31 PM »
Glad it worked for you Brian!  :)

Offline booker

• 8bit vaper
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 05:44:30 PM »
Glass dropper bottles should be fine in microwave, but since PG dissolves m.crystals so nicely, it seems pointless.

I don't have 0 PG yet and also want to spice up strong ecopure (20mg) which I want to cut down to 10mg with Boots 100% Glycerine v/v (anyone aware what v/v is for Glycerine?)

I think I'll try with 90% alc and see how they will dissolve :) Don't have any distilled nor deionised water too to dilute the glycerine as it seems there's no pharmacy that would stock them or I just don't have the luck :)

Offline iStormUK

• Sailing on a Vermillion River
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 06:46:50 PM »
Glass dropper bottles should be fine in microwave, but since PG dissolves m.crystals so nicely, it seems pointless.

I don't have 0 PG yet and also want to spice up strong ecopure (20mg) which I want to cut down to 10mg with Boots 100% Glycerine v/v (anyone aware what v/v is for Glycerine?)

I think I'll try with 90% alc and see how they will dissolve :) Don't have any distilled nor deionised water too to dilute the glycerine as it seems there's no pharmacy that would stock them or I just don't have the luck :)
v/v = Volume in volume.  A way of signifying the mixtures of two liquids, example: 20ml/80ml for 20ml in 80ml.  Least thats how I understand it. :)

Offline laid_in

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 07:30:19 PM »
Hi booker. I ended up getting 0 nic PG online in the end. It was [almost] as cheap as VG is from the chemist and as you point out, no microwaving required.

I did try mixing some of my PG only menthol flavouring using VG as the dilution then still found the mix started to crystalise again. I've also tried diluting the menthol crystals straight into neat vodka but that also didn't work for me. Hope this saves you a bit of time & supplies. It is well worth it in the end though  :) Brian.

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 07:30:19 PM »

Offline booker

• 8bit vaper
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 11:18:15 PM »
hehe yeah. I think I read your post laid_in but forgot about it and went through your road :D Nothing bloody worked for me but I haven't tried PG.

And I think I just scrap the idea. Going to get some vaping flavourings will save me time, hassle & perchaps few quids (I hope, coz I'm mess on DIY juicing so far  8) )

Still, I don't think there's anyone selling Aquos Glycerine in the price pharmacies sell 100% Glycerin and...I just have a big troubles getting distilled water, but I'm working on it :D

« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 11:21:15 PM by booker »

Offline Tinytears

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 09:59:11 PM »
You'll get the water at a garage, you can use the stuff you top up your car batteries with.

Diane

Offline laid_in

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 11:27:34 PM »
When mixing your own starts to take the fun out of it all its definitely time to go get some ready mades. Nothing stopping you from trying again in the future. Brian.