Author Topic: Smart Mods. vs Mechanical  (Read 6538 times)

Offline SC_Sammy

• GGTS, Provari, Shockwave, Roller & 3 Hellfires
Smart Mods. vs Mechanical
« on: March 30, 2012, 12:38:24 PM »
Here's a question I have been pondering about lately. Let's see if I can put it to words.

Ok, since I don't own a Mod. like the Provari or LT but use Mechanical Mods. If say, I use three 18500s a day and I swap batteries whenever the vaping experience becomes weak. If I had, say a Provari or LT, would I decrease the need for 3 batteries a day to  get the same pleasure?
What I was thinking was that the electronics might be able get more juice out of a battery that I would normally replace in my mechanical mod. Kind of like scraping the last of the peanut butter out of a jar with a knife vs just grabbing a new jar.
What you think?

Offline Fiona

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • I dont like cold tea!
Re: Smart Mods. vs Mechanical
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 12:40:38 PM »
I go through, just under two batteries  worth a day if I'm using the Bulli on my LT and one Battery a day if I'm using a standard cartomizer.  ;D

Offline itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • Argumentative ?? Debatable !!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 12:44:03 PM »
i would think so. i expect regulated or boosted voltage might sustain slightly more in terms of suitable vaping performance.
though the opposite should occur if running the battery untill completely flat.

the provari/LT will take a battery at 3.5 volt and happily produce a 3.7 and higher volt vape.
the mechanical mod might underperform at the same 3.5 volts, so be replaced prior to reaching this low.

then there's the other factor that a mechanical mod would begin at a hightened voltage and drop throughout.
this would highlight variation between the same fully charged and then flatter or flattened battery.

it may all depend on the point at which your battery is swapped out. if a near flat battery can meet the vaping requirement, then it might ultimately outdo the LT/provari in duration of use. meanwhile, reduced voltage could become the main option from the LT/provari and the trend would again reverse.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:07:30 PM by itsmeitis »

Offline SC_Sammy

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 10:32:27 PM »
That's kind of what I was thinking. With the Smart Mods use of a capacitor or similar tech. it could take 3.5v store it up to give 3.7v regulated keeping the experience pleasant longer.  Also at the other end, like you said, a near flat battery might last longer in a mech. mod. if your experience is still pleasant at the lower voltage.  This might explain why I have killed so may high drain IMR batteries in the past with my Mechanical Mod. The high drain allows for a better/longer experience on a battery, hence, over draining it to the point I can not recharge it.
Interesting, thanks Itsmeitis!

E-Cig-Reviews.com - Forum

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 10:32:27 PM »

Offline dirtdevil

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 03:56:21 AM »
That's kind of what I was thinking. With the Smart Mods use of a capacitor or similar tech. it could take 3.5v store it up to give 3.7v regulated keeping the experience pleasant longer.  Also at the other end, like you said, a near flat battery might last longer in a mech. mod. if your experience is still pleasant at the lower voltage.  This might explain why I have killed so may high drain IMR batteries in the past with my Mechanical Mod. The high drain allows for a better/longer experience on a battery, hence, over draining it to the point I can not recharge it.
Interesting, thanks Itsmeitis!
well for Li-ion batts, you should never totally discharge it. That kills the batt. So in other words, because smart mods cut out before the batt's actually totally drained, it safes them. If u feel your running out of batt too quickly then go with a higher cap batt? I'm currently using a LT with a local made batt (I'm in e sunny sg) with a 2600mah cap. Lasts me all day on a single coil. I still do bring a spare one with me. The batt doesn't have 'aw' on them but here's my theory, since the LT has an amp limit of 2.5amps and the batt that has been tested to have an output of 2.6amps for an hour, I'm fine. :) I do charge them on a Trustfire (it charges at 0.5amps so that doesn't stress the batts like quick chargers do)  hope that helps.

Offline DirkDampf

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
What is if I use an 18650 battery in a mod like the King Kong wich keeps the voltgage constant by 3.4 Volts like a Tornado battey? The battery should last ages. What do you think

Offline igetcha

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
    • E-Cig-Reviews.com
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 10:33:40 AM »
King Kong? Got a link mate please?

Offline itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • Argumentative ?? Debatable !!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 12:13:27 PM »
i believe some batteries that seem un-chargeable due to overun, may infact be recovered back to full working life by way of very low trickle charge, such as is present on some better quality multi stage chargers.

E-Cig-Reviews.com - Forum

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 12:13:27 PM »

Offline DirkDampf

Re: Re: Smart Mods. vs Mechanical
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 12:33:11 PM »

http://e-papierosy-shop.pl/szczegolyProduktu.php?kat=268&item=1114&lan=4&cur=1

It cost around 24 quid with battery. People are quite happy with it. It uses the same electronic as the tornado batteries.

Offline nosmo

• Only mugs still use a genni!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 12:34:15 PM »

Think it's this bad boy Scott

Edit.....or may be not lol
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:38:37 PM by nosmo »

Offline SC_Sammy

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 12:37:21 PM »