Author Topic: i think i want a zmax  (Read 1854 times)

Offline emtronea

• Platinum Member
  • August 18, 2011, wibble
    • facebook
i think i want a zmax
« on: September 13, 2012, 06:39:46 PM »
so with out going bonkers in plonkerville can the people who have 1 tell us why its so good  :D

couple of questions tho

how heavy is it, compared to over mods
is the chrome proper chrome like that on a provari
does the blue light make ya guey
do u have to buy an endcap
is the button stable
is it fingerprint proofish
does it work well with a gooseneck  :D

is it good as a back up or a main

i have a provari as my main
i need a 2nd main as me black lavatube broke down  :( and my chrome lavatube v2.1 which has the pulse modulation isnt my thing.
i was gona get a provari with a blue light but most sites add a ridickcolous price for the colour change  :(

Offline Cerberus

• Platinum Member
  • Do i sell my GG stuff humm :/
Re: i think i want a zmax
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 07:28:28 PM »
Ask uncle scott in chat andy he just got one today

Offline diz

• Black or Grey
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 04:08:05 PM »
how heavy is it, compared to over mods
Zmax Chrome = 92g
Provari V2 (18650) = 125g
Lavatube V1 (black) = 51g
VVGripper = 37g
All unloaded weights, without batteries or atomisers

is the chrome proper chrome like that on a provari
My Provari isn't chrome, but the chrome on the Zmax is good. The chrome on the end-caps seems slightly darker than the chrome of the body. It feels solid and well made in the hand.

does the blue light make ya guey
It makes me want to listen to this:

You can turn it off tough! There does not seem to be a light on the button at all, so the display turns off instead - (unlike the Vmax I think).

do u have to buy an endcap
No, but some fat (19.5 mm diameter) 18650 batteries don't squeeze in the Zmax end-cap. Only "regulation" 18650s (like AW) will do. Also, batteries without the "nipple" will work (unlike the Provari).

is the button stable
Yes. It has a slight clicky feel too and less travel than a Provari. It is a slightly larger button than the Provari too (@diameter 7.8mm vs. the Provari 6.3mm)

is it fingerprint proofish
As much as chrome can be. Wear gloves!

does it work well with a gooseneck 
I couldn't say. Send me one and I'll test it out.

Overall pro's and con's:
  • It remembers the settings between battery changes - like a Provari, but unlike a Lavatube. This is a wonderful idea.
  • The Zmax switches between variable voltage and variable wattage, so you either adjust volts or you adjust power. For example, when in power mode, 3 clicks allows you to increase power. When in volts mode, 3 clicks allows you to up the volts.
  • It is quite slim @ 21mm (vs Provari @22.9mm & Lavatube at 22mm)
  • The bottom cap is not completely flat, so the device wobbles slightly when you stand it on it's end.

I believe the Provari is also a PWM device, but it works in a different way. It uses PWM to boost the voltage up, but the Provari does also control the actual voltage output and smooths the peaks between pulses to give consistent power . I think the ZMax - in voltage mode - works like the VVGripper and controls the length of 6 volt pulses to average out the voltage.

I have not tried this out yet, but I'm hoping the variable power mode will stop me blowing new coils in my rebuildables that is so easy to do with the VVGripper's constant 6V peak power delivery and high current. I never had this problem with my Lavatube V1 or the Provari, but he VVGripper has shown no mercy for shorted coils and pops them like fuses.

I plan to get my oscilloscope hooked up to the ZMax to see how it deals with the variable wattage, but I can say I am having more success with vaping my low resistance DIDs and the VMax in Variable Wattage mode than I did with the VVGripper and low Ohm atomisers.

I've only been using it for a few hours today, but I do like it more than I thought I would.

Hope this helps!

Offline Fiona

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • I dont like cold tea!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 05:47:07 PM »
Nice one diz...... Sounds like a nice mod  ;D

E-Cig-Reviews.com - Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 05:47:07 PM »

Offline emtronea

• Platinum Member
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 02:46:04 PM »
no it dint help :)) i joke i joke  8)

Offline Jimblob

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 06:20:47 PM »
Why do you need vv and VW in one device. Are you supposed to use both settings at the same time or something or just pick one, lol.

Offline igetcha

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
    • E-Cig-Reviews.com
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 07:15:32 PM »
you can choose either one.....both work great, but 6 watts hits the spot perfectly for me :)

Offline diz

• Black or Grey
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 07:23:08 PM »
Why do you need vv and VW in one device. Are you supposed to use both settings at the same time or something or just pick one, lol.

It's one or the other: You either set it to volts, then adjust the voltage from 3 to 6 volts, or you set it to power and adjust the wattage from 5 to 15 watts (in 0.5W increments).

You can't do both: The "voltage up" and "voltage down" menu settings in voltage mode change to "power up" and "power down" in power mode, so you can't get mixed up in the menus.

I've settled at 7.5W for a 1.6R DID coil in mine. I've nudged the power up a bit, as the coil is getting old and crusty!

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 07:23:08 PM »

Offline igetcha

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
    • E-Cig-Reviews.com
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 07:27:57 PM »
I've settled at 7.5W for a 1.6R DID coil in mine. I've nudged the power up a bit, as the coil is getting old and crusty!

hi mate,

but if you are in wattage mode then it should cater for the extra resistance created by the crustiness of the coil, lol (i.e. it will increase the voltage automatically to reflect the increased resistance and maintain the power output that its been set to)

mine seems to be working well in that regard, though ive not got a particularly crusty coil at the moment, lol :)

Offline DirkDampf

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 07:29:52 PM »
And the Russians built the ZMAXky or is it a Provarsky

Offline diz

• Black or Grey
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 07:43:23 PM »

hi mate,

but if you are in wattage mode then it should cater for the extra resistance created by the crustiness of the coil, lol (i.e. it will increase the voltage automatically to reflect the increased resistance and maintain the power output that its been set to)

mine seems to be working well in that regard, though ive not got a particularly crusty coil at the moment, lol :)

Hi Scott,

The coil still reads 1.6R but the additional crustiness (I think) creates a barrier between the coil, the mesh and the juice. The crust-factor may make the heating process less efficient, hence more power required. I don't know if the Z-Max automatically allows for crustiness!

Offline igetcha

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
    • E-Cig-Reviews.com
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 08:26:22 PM »
lol! :D

yeah, hopefully the V2 of the Zmax will have an anti crust feature built in! lol

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 08:26:22 PM »

Offline diz

• Black or Grey
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 09:21:44 PM »
Getting all theoretical and techie...
The Power P is known, as is the resistance R. The current and voltage can then be derived.
Going by the formula P=I2R - after adjusting for I:

I = √(P/R)

In my case, with a 1.6R coil at 7.5 Watts:

I = √(7.5/1.6)
I = √4.69
I = 2.17 Amps

Using V=I*R (Ohm's Law):

V = 2.17 * 1.6 = 3.46 Volts

With the same 1.6R coil at 6 Watts:

I = √(6/1.6)
I = √3.75
I = 1.94 Amps

Using V=I*R (Ohm's Law):

V = 1.94 * 1.6 = 3.1 Volts

The Zmax in power mode may well be responsible for making my brain crust over! It is tough getting my head round variable wattage and what it means in more familiar terms of volts and amps.

Offline emtronea

• Platinum Member
    • facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 10:27:44 AM »
i just like the blue led and a blue led on a provari takes the mickey  :P