Author Topic: Tobacco steeping process?  (Read 2923 times)

Offline RasJ

• I need more juice!
Tobacco steeping process?
« on: March 15, 2013, 11:56:04 AM »
Vaping the T-Juice Cubana I discovered that steeped tobacco liquids are superior to anything else when it comes to true tobacco flavour!
I'm very tempted to try making some e-liquid out of the dark Nicaraguan prime leaves I've got in the freezer but need some guidance in order not to ruin tobacco of a quality that's really very hard to obtain!
As far as I'm aware the process is just about to stuff the baccy in a bottle, fill it up with PG/VG and letting it rest in the fridge for a month or so!?!
I would be truly grateful for any advice but if it's based on own experience it would be an absolute blessing!  ;)

Online itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
  • Argumentative ?? Debatable !!
Re: Tobacco steeping process?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 12:10:54 PM »
i think you could do it the way you mentioned ... or alternatively and for perhaps best result, distill.

Offline RasJ

• I need more juice!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 12:20:19 PM »
Distilling will most certanly give the best result but it seems a little complicated for a first attempt as I'm far from a chemist... And then i would need a lot of expensive equipment...  :-\

Offline Cerberus

• Platinum Member
  • Do i sell my GG stuff humm :/
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 03:39:04 PM »
not really just a glass jar bit of hose pipe and a glass jar in some cold water. strain the steeped liquid bung it in evap the alcohol.  jar one in a hot water bath till the substance boils ie alcohol.  what you should be left with is a tobacco sludge you can use to mix with dilute with vg or pg or 50/50 then use to mix up at 5/10 20 %.

E-Cig-Reviews.com - Forum

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 03:39:04 PM »

Offline RasJ

• I need more juice!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 07:09:28 PM »
Thanks for your advice! Without having tried it I totally agree that distilling would provide the best final result!
I might be able to obtain a semi-pro distilling kit for little or no money if I look around, but from what I've been reading on the UKV forum people have had quite some success only by steeping and filtering so I think that's what I'll try to do first!
From their experience it seems like if I steep the filtered liquid for some time, the small particles will sink to the bottom leaving the liquid crystal clear!  :)

Online itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 07:12:06 PM »
... people have had quite some success only by steeping and filtering so I think that's what I'll try to do first!
From their experience it seems like if I steep the filtered liquid for some time, the small particles will sink to the bottom leaving the liquid crystal clear!  :)

or you can pop the steeped mix in a bottle, secure to a drill and spin ... the centrifugal force might just separate the heaviest particulates and speed up the process.

Offline RasJ

• I need more juice!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 07:18:24 PM »
... people have had quite some success only by steeping and filtering so I think that's what I'll try to do first!

or you can pop the steeped mix in a bottle, secure to a drill and spin ... the centrifugal force might just separate the heaviest particulates and speed up the process.
That's a great idea!

I think I'll just order some PG, VG and nic to try making a small batch just to now how my dark cigar tobacco leaves would taste as an e-liquid!!

Offline monkeyboy

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 04:38:50 PM »
the distilling thing is generally illegal as naked flames and heated alcohol vapor have a tendency to cause explosions.
if you were going to try this at home id wear goggles and asbestos underpants

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 04:38:50 PM »

Online itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 05:33:33 PM »
the distilling thing is generally illegal as naked flames and heated alcohol vapor have a tendency to cause explosions.

lol ... it isn't illegal to distill in this manner ... might be different if aiming toward something drinkable, but not for personal supply of flavoured e-liquid.

Offline RasJ

• I need more juice!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 07:37:35 PM »
Don't worry yourself! I'm always careful...  ::)

Offline monkeyboy

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 01:21:54 AM »
lol ... it isn't illegal to distill in this manner ... might be different if aiming toward something drinkable, but not for personal supply of flavoured e-liquid.

well, im certainly no expert, but worth checking out depending where you live. Limited research suggests that here in the uk, even to own such equipment requires a license. I understand that all these laws & reg come from an attempt to stop peeps avoiding alcohol duty, but the coppers wont care/listen to your "im flavoring vapable nicotine!"

defo do this outdoors either way! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-14155464

Online itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 01:54:53 AM »

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 01:54:53 AM »

Online itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 02:05:16 AM »

Offline Jimblob

• Platinum Member
Tobacco steeping process?
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 02:27:43 AM »
You'll be reet, if the coppers ask, just tell them you are making meth.

Online itsmeitis

• Diamond Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 02:31:11 AM »
 ;D ...

and on a side note:

"coppers" as in routine police officers, probably don't even police the ownership of stills ... that would be more likely done by HMRC and DTI.