Author Topic: For newer mixers - How much flavoring needed to flavor a bottle of e-liquid.  (Read 9693 times)

Offline CountryMick

• So good, you'll want to slap your grandma!
Hi all;

Being new to vaping (a week), and *really* new to mixing (waiting for my flavors to arrive), I looked around on the forum but didn't notice references that gave an indication of how much flavoring liquid was needed in order to flavor a 30ml bottle of e-liquid. So this is my attempt at such a thing. Hopefully my math is correct and someone can validate ???

This is all based on the rule of thumb that 20 drops of liquid is the equivalent of 1ml. It seems accurate enough and hopefully it helps save some people the agony that is mathematics.

Estimates on the amount of flavoring needed to flavor a 30ml bottle of e-liquid are based on the forum calculator's default value of 12% flavoring in their mixtures.

I do not take into account the addition of distilled water or vodka in this post, as the amounts required are so small. So if you do add water, vodka, or other additives like that juice doctor stuff (can't recall it's actual name at the moment), total yields will be slightly higher.

20 drops / 1 ml
100 drops / 5 ml
600 drops / 30 ml

If you wish to keep your e-liquid the same strength right out of the bottle (not going to dilute it at all with glycerine)
72 drops (3.6ml) of flavoring will be needed to flavor the entire 30ml bottle of e-liquid, yielding about 33.6ml of e-liquid for use.

If you dilute your e-liquid to 1/2 strength using glycerine:
144 drops (7.2ml) of flavoring will be needed to flavor the entire 30ml bottle of e-liquid, yielding about 67.2ml of e-liquid for use.

If you dilute your e-liquid to 1/3 strength using glycerine:
216 drops (10.8ml) of flavoring will be needed to flavor the entire 30ml bottle of e-liquid, yielding about 100.8ml of e-liquid for use.

Hope this helps in some way for other newcomers. This gave me a really good indication as to how much flavoring one should have on hand, and could help others avoid having too much flavoring liquid on hand... wait... that's not even really possible is it  :P

Happy vaping!

Offline Fiona

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • I dont like cold tea!
On the main page theres a, e-liquid calculator for mixing up your own mixes. (Links on left hand side) Theres also a video showing you how to use the calculator. I use it all the time.  :D

What I do, instead of using the 5% of water or vodka to thin the mix I use 5 more drops of flavouring....So if I want my mix to have 20% flavouring, I set it at 15% and then use the 5% thats calculated for water/vodka and add my extra 5 drops of flavouring instead.

Offline CountryMick

Yes, I was just playing with the calculator - it is really good!

Offline Fiona

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • I dont like cold tea!
Cool!  Now you can have some real fun when your flavours come in  ;D

E-Cig-Reviews.com - Forum

Offline CountryMick

first up: orange almond cola with a twist of ry4 lime... heh. maybe I'll just use seperate bottles.

Offline Fiona

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • I dont like cold tea!
Yeah, not sure they'll all go together, but you just never know until you try.....I wasn't a lover of the orange, but my daughter like it with chocolate...I cant stand either of them ......But I love the white chocolate from Perfumers apprentice...Really nice and adds a nice undertone to other flavours.

Now if you like Banana try the Totally Wickeds one...Really nice  :P

Offline CountryMick

Will keep banana in mind, especially since a co-worker is showing interest, and keeps going on about how Elvis used to love peanut butter and banana sandwiches...know any places offering peanut butter flavor?

Offline RicAlex

Cloud9 vaping do peanut butter. Their flavours are supposed to be good. Trying them next week as I don't get on too well with flavour arts.

Offline CountryMick

Thanks for the cloud9 reference for peanut butter, RicAlex. I'm sincerely hoping it's the creamy variety rather than the chunky kind... lumps in the liquid can't be a good thing.

Offline RicAlex

If it's got lumps put it in the blender hehehehe.

Offline Fiona

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Member
  • I dont like cold tea!
ecigwizard do a pre-mixed peanut butter.....Also looks like ecigwizard are going to be selling some perfumers apprentice flavours and they are pretty nice. I'll keep an eye out for when they come in  ;D

Offline light487

• ligh487's Youtube Channel
Yer.. I used to mix from concentrates when I first started vaping but these days I buy 0mg flavoured e-juice that has been mixed at double strength flavour. Then I simply take my 52mg unflavoured nicotine juice and mix it 50/50 for 26mg.. or a little less nicotine for 20-ish mg.. I find it a lot more convenient than messing around with concentrates and PG.. essentially the guesswork has been taken out and the "intended" flavour % is more accurate. Some flavours like to be mixed at 23% or so, while other stronger flavours need to be mixed at 5%.. and then everything in between. With a pre-mixed double flavour, all that stuff has been done for you already. :P

Offline CountryMick

That is a great tip, Light!

Offline light487

• ligh487's Youtube Channel
Yer.. the other point here is that some concentrates are simply not available.. such as my favourite flavour "Spliced Lime". There are obviously the concentrates that the person who makes Spliced Lime are available but the recipe for SPliced Lime is a well-guarded secret by the manufacturer... so the only way to get that flavour is with either the concentrated version of Spliced Lime made by that person or with the doublers.

Offline CountryMick

Speaking of lime, that Tahiti Lime that came in the other day is outstanding. Ever try it before, Light? If so, how does it compare to Spliced Lime?